[vox-tech] Question: mod_dav.1.0.3 + apache.1.3.26 and CR/LF issues w/ MacOS+MSWin

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 15:22:13 -0700 (PDT)

As some of you know, MasOS (up to 9.x) save text files using the CR (^M)
for line termination.

Dos/MS Windows (for the most part) uses CR/LF (^M^J) in text files for
line termination.

And the common *NIX way (Linux included here) is to use the LF (^J) as a
line termination for text files.

When using mod_dav to save files to a dav based apache web server from the
mac, if the file is a text-based file, we also get the ugly "^M" in our
shell based text editors when looking at the files from the
server. Windows share used of DAV can see the "^J" as a nifty block
(unprintable char). When windows user save, the mac users suffer.

Obviously, from the shell, tr is my friend, but my mac users would like to
use SimpleText and my windows users want to use NotePad (not wordpad or
word).

Mac users can just be forced to use something like "BBEdit" which works
with DOS/*NIX/Mac line termination chars such that you can have a mixed
file loaded and still display properly. And the editor from CodeWarrior
for windows also seems to do nicely with all three line termination things
when files have mixed strings for termination.

Here is what I *want* to do...

Much like FTP has the ASCII mode for transmitting files for
upload/download and then properly deals with the CR/LF, CR, LF issues, I
would like something like this for apache and dav.

I have played with specifying use of AddType text/plain for shtml, html,
cgi etc. in the hopes that text transaltion with termination would work
from the client side and then back to the server side.

I have thought about using the <file *html> to do some rewriting and maybe
even some client information parsing to control output but this does not
control input from the client AFAIK.

Google searches are proving to not offer me what I want.

Suggestions from the various web server admins out there?

(I may need to take this Q to a WebDAV list. I have searched through their
website FAQ.)

Thanks!
-ME