[vox-tech] digital camera recommendation?

Henry House vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 11:46:54 -0700

--r5Pyd7+fXNt84Ff3

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 03:40:06PM -0700, nbs wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 09:25:43PM -0700, Henry House wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend a digital camera for use with Linux? My goals (in =
no
> > particular order):
> >=20
> > * Good image quality
>=20
> YMMV. :)  More megapixels help, at least when you want GIANT resolution
> (like, 1600x1200).  Check for good zoom, good indoor and outdoor capabili=
ties,
> and flash.  Also good if you can adjust exposure.
>=20
>=20
> > * Uses compact flash (the little wafers, each as large as an air-mail s=
tamp)
>=20
> Those aren't compact flash.  CF are the big squarish ones.  (They also
> come in micro-hard-drive flavors of up to 1GB, as well as other devices
> like ethernet, modem, bluetooth, wireless, etc.)

I meant airmail-stamp size, which is rather larger than a first-class stamp
;-). Anyway, I am sure that CompactFlash is what I have; I prefer it to the
other standard because I have a Sandisk CompactFlash reader that works great
under kernel 2.4.18 and a few flash cards. The smaller size of the SmartMed=
ia
cards is appealing, but then they seem to be more expensive at large
capacities, easier to lose, and likely less durable.

Sorry for the confusion :-).

Anyway, I am now leaning to a Casio QV4000 camera, which appears to be
supported by a USB mass storage kernel driver:

	http://www.harald-schreiber.de/

as documented above. No word on the above page about Casio's
Linux-friendliness, but there are no complains from the developers posted
there either.

I also like the Casio because it is an unobtrusive black, rather than an
eye-grabbing silver, like most of the rest. Silly, I know ;-).

--=20
Henry House
The attached file is a digital signature. See <http://romana.hajhouse.org/p=
gp>