[vox-tech] windows question (samba related)

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
21 Jan 2002 10:43:39 -0800

On Sat, 19 January 2002, Ken Bloom wrote:

> [...]

More specifically.  If you do not have profiles enabled on Win95/98, then all of the settings are in the root c:\windows directory.  There will be a \desktop a \Start Menu etc.

If you have enabled Profiles (Control Panel\Users), then it creates a Profiles directory and copies the 'default' for new users from the origianl c:\windows\desktop and the c:\windows\start menu directories.

You probably will need to specify the full path to get the one you want with smbclient.  Win98 series profiles behavior is actually an attempt to implement standard NT behavioer in this and it does so badly.

WinME is derived from win9x series and uses that method.

'c:\documents and settings\default user' is in fact where the user profile is generated in w2k and wXP systems and there are a lot of tricks and customizations you can do with new user logons, but not on this list.  :)

-sp