[vox-tech] Chicago?

Stephen M. Helms vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 21:26:45 -0800

Jay,

I would also recomend cygwin plus xfree86 ( for x, if you must use windows).
This will give you a UNIX environment on Windows and also a free replacement
for eXceed.  Cygwin xfree86 has worked really well for me at work on NT and
2000.  It is possible to get it to work decently on XP and I have had speed
problems with win95/98.

As far as MS products being offered on UNIX, they actually have IE 5 for
Solaris (ok flame away), I have used it on my ultra 5.  I really prefer Opera
or mozilla though.

As far as building your own system, I would recomend building one just becuase
it is plain fun to do (even if it is a cheap system).

I am going to the computer show in Vallejo on Saturday if anyone is
interested.  I am going to pick up parts to build a lower end system for my 4
year old son (who is very close to learning how to build one himself).

Stephen