[vox-tech] Questions about building my own box

Jay Strauss vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 20:55:09 -0600

Had I known the sh-t storm I was going to stir up, I'd have kept my fingers
off the keyboard (But it has been funny nevertheless).

I'm still debating the build vs. buy.  But I have done some research and
think if I build I'll get a Athlon 1500 (fast and cheap).  Now I've only got
about 85 motherboards to look over.

I tried star office a year ago, didn't like a number of things, maybe it's
gotten better, at the time Netscape and monzilla sucked, didn't try Opera, I
never tried Koffice, I was luke warm on gnumeric, going to look at
Evolution, own vmware (but realized I do one thing on the server, I run
xterm (from there I vim and admin), the rest of the time I'm using
Office,IE,Outlook so why not use them natively and get eXceed), maybe I'll
have to learn DocBook/XML/Tex/LaTex (someday, right now I'm climbing the
Java hill, going thru the Sun tutorials, I know I'll just stop sleeping)

I live in Chicago so can't do the face to face (though the thought of 3hr
lines at O'hare, strip searches, gate delays, and the 4.5 hr flight is very
attractive).