[vox-tech] Network Configuration

Thu, 17 Jan 2002 17:18:53 -0800

begin ME <dugan@passwall.com>
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Ken Bloom wrote:
> > I didn't say I had a problem with my network card, I just said that
> > `dmesg` didn't say anything about the card. Perhaps you missed it when
> > I said that this ethernet card that `dmesg` didn't report was the one
> > I was using to post my response to the list. So the question lies,
> > what good is the `dmesg` test if it doesn't report a card I know to
> > *is* working?
>
> dmesg can report kernel boot information (including hardware
> detection) unless your machine has been on a while , or something has been
> logging stuff for dmesg to cause the older stuff to be wiped out.
>
> You can think of the data available to dmesg as being limited for being
> over-written as new data comes in. Immediately after a boot, assuming
> other things are not complaining, dmesg should show you good detailed
> information about your hardware.
>
> Perhaps you have more wrong with your box. Check out
> # dmesg |more
> and see what you have.
>
> A properly configured server which has been up for 175 days, has so little
> reported for access with dmesg, that I can see to the top of where my
> kernel was just starting to load. (And this is a busy web server.)
>
> (Have had other servers with >300 days of uptime that also allow me to see
> the top of my dmesg data from boot >300 days ago.

just small note:

on one of my overclocked machines, i get constant APIC errors.  they
aren't fatal; just an annoyance.  they can rapidly fill the kernel ring
log buffer.  i'd say in 2 days, easily.

also, an oft run daemon or program that tries to get kmod to load
something like NLS can really fill up your ring buffer too!   this
machine currently suffers from that.  i've been so busy that i haven't
had a chance to look into what's causing it..  :(

pete