[vox-tech] Virtual Private Networking Suguestions.

Gabriel Rosa vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 01:10:16 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Ryan wrote:

> I'd like to setup a VPN to let me access my home network whilst away from
> home.

an excellent move. I can't stress the convenience factor of being able to
fetch files from home enough.

Sounds like you might be looking at one of the many uses of ssh :)

> What I need
> 1. Encryption

Blowfish is a fairly secure, fast algorithm, from what i understand.

> 2. Tunneling over telnet or http (http prefered)

I'm not sure what you mean. How do you want to access your data?

> 3. Athuentication

You might even want to look into authentication key pairs, if you're using
a laptop or some private system. This will make using scp more convenient,
as you won't have to type out your password all the time. It's kind of
annoying when using CVS over ssh to have to type your password at every
commit/update.

> 4. Ability to route any connection to the internet or remote network over the
> VPN. (This is the point of a VPN isn't it?)

Ssh can do encrypted port forwarding. I've used it as a proxy from isun to
home so that i could check out my webserver from the outside.
You should be able to forward just about anything over ssh though.

> I'd also like simple setup, but will deal with anything that takes less then
> 2 hours or so to get working.

The man page goes into some detail on port forwarding and key authentication.
That is always a good read.

> I've poked about on google and freshmeat, but the stuff i found didn't really
> have very good documentation.

Have you tried serching freshmeat for a VPN package?
I see several hits, including one that encapsulates tcp/ip.

-Gabe