[p@dirac.org: Re: [vox-tech] Questions about building my own box]

Ajay vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 23:49:10 -0800

briefly.. Hola..

* Richard Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com> [020116 21:13], about

:mentioned sending to him.  This is, in my opinion, a very serious breach
:of standard internet protocol.

Please go ahead and read laws on email privacy.  They all basically say
'you have none,' and basically all fall on common sense.  (Which is what a
lot of our laws are based on (I think the DMV manual explicitly states this
too ("use common sense"))).  We all know email is as secure as a postcard,
and that's one reason.  The more important, and common sense reason, is that
you don't want to say anything to anyone (over email) that you wouldn't want
public, you can by no means guarantee, or even expect, the privacy.  I say
this is common sense because this is true in the "real" world.  The only
thing is the online world occassionally allows for people to be left more
accountable.

I don't think I wish for this list to be a meritocracy (a la svlug), but as
I've been .. (not flamed or attacked, something.. subtler) .. harassed
personally, by Peter, about not posting before spending the initial research
steps, I'd say that another person writing statements along similar lines
should be allowed.  (And when I posted to say that I had done work before
posting, the reply was redirected, and basically my post was 'modded down',
as far as the medium goes, and even ignoring my useful content, at that.)

If one wanted to ask for good sites to do hw research (anandtech, tom's, etc
etc there are so many nowadays), that should be a reasonable query, because
again, there are so many.  (and some are supposedly biased in a myriad of
ways.)  (The reason for this of course is none of us can be acclaimed to be
hw experts, so soliciting our opinion on lesser known/used products..)
(If it means anything, Takashi's was the most specific of all the responses
I saw.(in terms of content))

As for building a computer, I've found out that's it's really a lot harder
than one would imagine (this coming from someone who's done several), due to
the nature and sensitivity of motherboards today, so it's not something to
be easily recommended either, imho.

:On a separate note, I would say that whoever created and maintains a
:mailing list has the right to say what goes on on that list.

This goes into the realms of censorship, trademark of a dictatorship.

I believe that lugod (like linux) is a community onto itself, and as such
would be subject to community standards/rules/regulations, not Ex Post Law.
(created by a single supreme arbiter with punishments created at the same
time as the laws.)
(or anarchy in the internet sense of the word.)

>-- End of excerpt from Richard Crawford

That's all (more than enough, 'eh? ;) from me, and I'm more shedding an
opposing viewpoint that I think is very important, in our day and in the
linux community.  Too often the linux-ers are prone to flaming each other,
and I don't know why.  Maybe Linux is meant to be a meritocracy, but that
still wouldn't explain the lack of love.  (again, community folks!)
And to reiterate, no ex post facto law, if you want to put something into
writing, do it (eg mailing list guidelines) and have it approved by the body,
otherwise..
(at least, I think that's a good idea, at least I'm tired of all the dopes
that quote (in their reply) EVERY line of EVERY reply in the thread.  Eek,
that has to go!  But.. (and that's the biggest complaint about outlook
users, actually.. ;) )

whatever, definitely into ramblings now.  Now all you kids should ask
yourselves if those flames were useful, productive, enjoyable, etc etc.  if
not, please refrain from flaming. Anyone.  Anytime.  (all the time.)
Thanks!

	-Ajay

--
Milpitas, ca	atallam@telocity.net	HempVille, Planet Talarian