[vox-tech] Questions about building my own box

Jay Strauss vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 23:09:43 -0600

Preface: I'm not starting a war, but....

I have my linux (HP, Sun et al) machines where I run Oracle, write my perl
scripts, monkey with DBI/DBD/Mod_perl stuff, but I like the M$ Office suite,
IE, and outlook.

I don't love M$, but I like their above products.  I tried to make the
switch to a linux desktop but didn't like the apps.  I promise you guys, if
M$ ported Office, IE, and Outlook to *nix, you'd all be using them.

Jay

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan" <ryan@mother.com>
To: <vox-tech@lists.lugod.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 6:00 PM
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Questions about building my own box

Hey now, chill out. It's entirely like that he did not know AMD made CPUs.

You don't need to flame his for using outlook express (although it does
suck), perhaps he is unable to get online under linux for some reason.

Also, it's quite rude to accuse people of spam, if it was a spam attempt
there likely would have been some mention of a 'great deal' or 'sale'

On Wednesday, January 16 2002 03:34 pm, Takashi Ishihara wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 03:17:19PM -0600, Jay Strauss wrote:
> > I'm thinking about building a new box, unfortunately I don't know
> > anything about hardware
>
> How unreasonable ppl are these days.
> Kids say the same thing. The difference btwn kids and this guy is
> kids don't know the fact that they are idiot, and this guy at least know
> that he does not know anything.
>
> And this guy is using wintel + outlook.
> For this kind of person, the only convinsing factors are
> 1. bigger is better.
> 2. faster is better.
> Go to fry's or compusa or wherever and ask the sales person.
> They tell you the same.
>
> > I'm using www.spartantech.com (because they're out where I live), my
> > first
>
> Does this line implies that you expect ppl on the mailing list to visit
> aforementioned uri, browse their products, and configure the system for
> you? Or was he hired by that company, and send this kind of ads to the
> mailing lists?
>
> > choice it the chip:
>
> Sure you should stick w/ wintel + rambus.
>
> > I have to choose:
> > socket 423 vs 478
>
> Bigger is better. Naturally the answer would be 478.
>
> > bus speed 256 vs 512
>
> Wider is better. Naturally the answer would be 512.
>
> > chip speed - I know what this is.
>
> Make sure to get the fastest one.
>
> > Is the 423 an older style than the 478? the 478 is less expensive, is
> > that good?
> > bus speed, how will that impact the system, is it worth the price? It
> > seems I have have to buy the fastest chip in order to get the bigger bus
> > (maybe it just doesn't make sense with a slower chip?)
>
> Newer ones are a bit more expensive in general, but you should get new
> stuffs. Get the latest ones. They're faster and better.
>
> > Jay
>
> Hi Jay,
> so you're going to install xp on it, aren't you?

- --
- --