[vox-tech] Memory usage puzzle

Rod Roark vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:38:23 -0800

Anyone know a good utility that will go through all allocated memory
blocks and tell you which process or executable is responsible for each
one?

Yes I know about "ps".  I don't think it really does that.  Here's my
problem:

When I start up my colo box, running ntpd, bind, sshd, postfix, Courier
pop3d/imapd, apache, postgresql, xvnc, one KDE session, and some other
normal stuff, "free" shows about 60 MB in use (after subtracting buffers
and cache).  After a day or two, memory usage climbs to around 260MB and
stays there.  If I stop VNC/KDE, apache, all mail stuff and the sql
server, memory in use still stays over about 220 MB.

So, what's using all that memory?  I'd like to find out.

Total physical memory is 1GB.

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/