[vox-tech] Problems with dual boot system (Win 98/RH 7.2)

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 13:06:36 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for the advice..

Both OS's seemd to be unstable when Windows crashed so I could not mount
the Windows partitions to backup files (that was one of the first things I
tried, and kernel panic came up)

I do have two large HDD (40G for win98 and 30G for RH7.2) and thought that
would suffice to keep the two lovebirds away from each other, but I'll try
the fdisk /mbr and boot linux with a floppy instead of grub.  When I do
reformat the MBR, do I need to reinstall some default settings, is that
what sys c: does?  (I'm a plant biologist, not a CS major, so please bear
with my ineptitude.)

I guess when kernel panic comes up is a good reason to compile a new
kernel, no??  How is that problem solved, in case it rears its ugly head
again.

JOEY.