[vox-tech] Problems with dual boot system (Win 98/RH 7.2)

Rod Roark vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 11:34:05 -0800

Sounds like you need to clear your master boot record (MBR), which is the
first sector on the hard drive.

>From DOS this is done with "fdisk /mbr".  From a Linux rescue disk, you
can do something like "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1".
Either of these will destroy any partitioning information on the drive.

> What is kernel panic? I heard it mentioned on the list recently...

It means the kernel was unable to continue.  The particular reason should
be in an error message.  It's almost always caused by some kind of
misconfiguration or damage to the configuration.

> How can I load Linux so that it runs completely separate from Windows,
> (ie. no bootloader, stability of one doesn't affect the other, etc.)?

You can get the most separation in a dual-boot setup by booting Linux only
from diskette.  Otherwise one OS is going to have to be in charge of
booting the other.

With computers so cheap now, another thing to consider is having a
separate Linux box networked to your Windows machine.  With VNC you can
even stick it away in a closet and access everything from one machine.
This makes a lot of sense if you also have a reason to run your own web,
mail, file or print server, or internet gateway, or any combination of
these.

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/