[vox-tech] (no subject)

Henry House vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 21:22:40 -0800

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 03:21:17PM -0800, Ryan wrote:
> What is that `winmail.dat` attachment?

It is added by certain Microsoft mail software automatically. It usually do=
es
nothing but waste space and bandwidth. If the message has any real
attachments, they are encoded inside the winmail.dat amy may be extracted
using the handy program tnef.

> On Saturday, January 12 2002 12:21 pm, Eric C Moloy wrote:
> > Hello.  I am getting started with Red Hat 7.1 for the first time, and I=
 am
> > having trouble connecting to the web.  The eth0 device fails to initita=
lize
> > at startup.  The following settings appear for the eth0 device:
> >
> > IP address -> entered correctly
> > netmask -> 255.255.255.0
> > network -> 169.237.204.0
> > broadcast -> 169.237.204.255
> >
> > after startup, I activate the eth0 device and try to connect.  I get an
> > unknown hosts error message.  The error message suggests that I may hav=
e to
> > set the $SOCKS_NS environment variable to point tot he appropriate name
> > server.
> >
> > Any suggestions?  Thanks very much.

Welcome Eric. Here are some general suggestions to help you to get help:

* Add a descriptive subject to your message
* Copy and paste error messages exactly as they appear into your e-mail.

More specifically, we need the output of 'ifconfig', 'route -n', ifconfig
eth0', and the contents of /etc/resolv.conf to diagnose the problem.

--=20
Henry House
The attached file is a digital signature. See <http://romana.hajhouse.org/p=
gp>