[vox-tech] newbie

Eric Engelhard vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 18:29:12 -0800

Kevin Dawson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm completely new to the realm of LINUX and to your discussion group.
> I'm a UC Davis grad student trying to put a bioinformatics workstation
> to work at home. Any idea, how I can get some help with
> installation-related questions?
>
> The acute issue is how to connect a Windows 98 laptop to the LINUX box.
> Today, I installed Redhat 7.1 and SAMBA. Consequently, the LINUX machine
> can talk to itself via SAMBA but the Windows laptop doesn't see it
> through the network (network == a patch-cable connecting the two NICs).
> Any help is appreciated.

Hi Kevin,

OK, by saying that "the LINUX machine can talk to itself via SAMBA" do
you mean that your linux samba service is up and you can access files
with smbclient and the "service smb status" command returns good smb and
nmbd news? If so, then great. If you are not using a hub, then you need
a crossover cable. Heron's on E Street sells crossover cables and little
crossover converters (dual R45 jacks with the crossover internal).

--
Eric Engelhard