[vox-tech] newbie

Gabriel Rosa vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 17:10:10 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> kevin, is this a crossover cable?  my understanding is that if you
> connect two NICs together, one (some?  all?) of the lines need to cross over
> to a different position.

my understanding is that the two signal pairs need to reverse, so they match
up with the right pins on the other side. This is called a crossover cable.

Most patch cables, as labeled by fry's/etc, are straight through connections.

My advice would be to buy a cheap hub and make your life easier, since the hub
will take regular cabling, and give you lots of blinking leds to tell you
what's going on :)

-Gabe