[vox-tech] SCSI problem with RH (adaptec)

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 22:11:25 -0800 (PST)

keywords: scsi reset, scsi timeout, scsi trouble, scsi driver, AIC7xxx

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 jeremic@ucdavis.edu wrote:
> Installation program hangs when it gets to the "Loading AIC-78XX driver"
> message.  Kernel message shows "Unexpected Bus Free in Data-in Phase"
> infinitely.  System is a dual AMD Athlon, Tyan Thunder K7 motherboard, 2GB RAM,
>  and an Adaptec 39169 SCSI Host adapter (also fails with an Adaptec 2940U2W,
> which uses the same driver).
>
> Any hints will be appreciated.

You should check what Jeff Newmiller wrote about first with device
termination and on being sure that the devices actually work.

Next, make sure all of the connections are solid and tight.

Next, make sure all SCSI devices are powered up before starting the
computer (if possible. A scanner, or extrnal disk are both good examples
of these.)

Next, you may want to see if you have exceeded the max length allowed for
your reveision of SCSI and devices. (Only leave on the bus the Disk
Drive(s) needed for booting for example, and term them, then shutdown and
add more devices and reboot continuing testing process up to the full
length at present - terminating it properly each time, to see if you can
find a place where it does not happen, or with a specific device removed
from your bus. (Also good for testing some cables.)

Had problems with the Adaptec driver and an older Adaptec card that was
supposed to use this driver (AIC78xx) and the SCSI Bus had old devices. It
turned out that I had to compile my own kernel for the device and increase
the reset time on start (part of the advanced features for the driver in
the kernel config.)

Also had problems with multiple interfaces on the same board (one unit)
with one motherboard and shared IRQs, and found that I needed to include
some arguements for lilo and then later lilo.conf with io port addresses.

These are rather obscure and were with a 2.0.x kernel (I think) if not,
then maybe a 2.2. Your error is not one that I saw in mine. For the first
one, it would just freeze at boot when trying to load the built-in kernel
support for the AIC78xx and use the drives.

ALso, as a troubleshooting thing, you could try to boot from a kernel that
is for single processors. If you are using one of these, then try a kernel
built for smp. (Or maybe even make your own kernel for the install.)

-ME