[vox-tech] .asx player for Linux?

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 11:49:31 -0800 (PST)

Not sure about the .asx, but I have been using a newer application
(aviplay) that has played every single avi, and asf file (and done
streaming too) that I can find. I dont get codec errors or whatnot. It
also can do the Divix stuff, and more.

If your distro does not have a package for it, then you are probably
looking at a bitof time to install it. (Many supported packages are
needed and compilation of them as well as configuration is necessary.)

I now use this for avi, asf etc playing in Linux over xmms. I still use
xmms and others for non avi,asf, files like mpeg and the occasional
qt/mov.

http://avifile.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/avifile/

So far, it plays all avi that I have been able to play in windows. I'm
impressed.

-ME