[vox-tech] Linux distro for lightweight box

Henry House vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 10:14:38 -0800

--wq9mPyueHGvFACwf

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 07:37:35PM -0800, Holland, Matt wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good Linux distro for an old machine (486 w/ 12 MB
> RAM)?  I've managed to install TINY Linux, which is based on Slackware 3.5
> or so, but I think I'd like something a bit more polished.  All of the ma=
jor
> distributions require at least 32 MB RAM AFAIK, so they're out.  I also
> tried OpenBSD, but had problems (it's been awhile, so I don't remember
> precisely what went wrong).

I had no difficulty installing Debian 2.1 (slink) on a 486 with 8Mb a few
years ago. (Still chugging away as a DNS server.) I have not used Slackware,
but I expect Slackware is even more trim than Debian. Also, FreeBSD is quite
resource-light.

--=20
Henry House
The attached file is a digital signature. See <http://romana.hajhouse.org/p=