[vox-tech] Linux distro for lightweight box

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 19:53:28 -0800 (PST)

I once installed Slackware 3[.2?] on a 386 w/ 4MB RAM.  It couldn't run X,
but it ran all the console stuff just fine.  The manual says right on it
that it only needs 4MB RAM.

I think the modern dists can run well without much RAM as long as it
doesn't go graphical, including during the installation process.  Most
distributions can do text-based installation.  I say just grab a
distribution you like and try installing it and see if it works.

-Mark