[vox-tech] Linux distro for lightweight box

Gabriel Rosa vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 19:44:40 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Holland, Matt wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good Linux distro for an old machine (486 w/ 12 MB
> RAM)?  I've managed to install TINY Linux, which is based on Slackware 3.5
> or so, but I think I'd like something a bit more polished.  All of the major
> distributions require at least 32 MB RAM AFAIK, so they're out.  I also
> tried OpenBSD, but had problems (it's been awhile, so I don't remember
> precisely what went wrong).

I ran Debian on an old 486 laptop with 16mb ram that I bought from Remington a
long time ago.

It was quite useable, I did most of my ecs30 programming on it, but I
didn't bother running X on it.

-Gabe