[vox-tech] firewall question

Shwaine vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 16:17:02 -0800

There is no need for UDP 22 and 80 to do normal web browsing and
SSH sessions. The only UDP packets I allow on the input side of the
firewall is UDP port 53 from only my ISP's DNS servers, since these
are the replies to my DNS queries. I've read in a few documents that
DNS may also sometimes use TCP port 53. I haven't seen that happen
in any of my logs however. Anyways, you should be fine blocking those
two UDP ports. My web browsing and SSH use go just fine with them
blocked.

Shwaine the Wandering Arch of Malevolence
http://www.malevolence.com              http://www.shwaine.com
telnet://shwaine.dyn.greystoneapts.com:3000