[vox-tech] advice for floppy disks

Wed, 2 Jan 2002 09:02:09 -0800

begin speck@blkmtn.org <speck@blkmtn.org>
> I've always liked Maxell's

maxell?  are they still around?  i used to use maxell back in the good
ol days of 5.25.  i remember jumping for joy when i found a place that
sold maxells for 9 cents each in bulk.  i bought 200 of them.  i still
have them laying around somewhere.  :)

ok, i'm going to frys and picking myself up some imation and maxells.

thanks!

> Failing that I tend to use whatever I have laying around.  Windows NT
> boot disk reformatted work ok as well.  If you have a LOT of issues,
> look at your floppy drives.

well, i think the problem is partially my fault.  i regularly reformat
the disks between 18, 20 and 21 sectors per track.  i've also played
around with the number of tracks.  that can't be too healthy for a
floppy.

plus, most of my floppies are on the order of 5 years old.  i think i
just need to buy a whole new bunch of them.

i keep 2 backups of everything i have on floppies -- CD as well as hard
drive.  but frankly, i'd prefer to not have to use my backups to create
new disks.  it's just a HUGE waste of my time.  i have no monitor hooked
up to my firewall, so when the system reboots (say a power outtage that
i don't know about) i don't really know about it.

i want to be more confident than i currently am about the integrity of
the disk that's in the firewall floppy drive.    :-(

pete

> In general I don't have many issue's with floppy disks and when I do
> it comes in batches.  1/2 the time it's my fault, the other half I
> never find out.

amen.   :)

pete