[vox-tech] advice for floppy disks

Wed, 2 Jan 2002 02:02:02 -0800

what part of

   "not for backup.  i need floppies."

do we not understand here?   :)

maybe the problem is that you don't know what floppies can be used for
other than backups?   my application is a linux firewall.  the operating
system (or in this case, a piece of it) fits on a floppy.  you pop the
floppy in, turn the firewall machine on and walk away.  so you see,
i'm using the floppy as a *boot device*.  not for backup.

please change the subject when posting about backups.  i don't want it
threaded with the other emails i want to read on floppy recommendations.

ryan, about your script.  it certainly is sensitive to format.  why would
you think otherwise?  by accessing /dev/fd0, you're already choosing a
discipline for the floppy driver.  what if the disk was formatted with 21
sectors per track?

pete

begin Ryan <ryan@mother.com>