[vox-tech] pppoe suddenly quit

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 01:00:07 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Ed Glass wrote:
> Everything was working fine... then it just quit.
> It connects just fine: "adsl-start"... gives the "connected!" confirmation
> I've got my DNS nameservers set properly in /etc/resolv.conf
>
> I can ping the nameservers and traceroute to them just fine.
>
> I CANNOT ping anything else with a name...
> i.e. ping step.mother.com or ping www.yahoo.com
> both return unknown host errors.
>
> Any clues would be appreciated.

You can ping your nameservers, but perhaps they are no longer running
DNS, or they moved DNS to another server.

A nifty tool:
$ nslookup

You can also try with a "-" and then an arg of the IP address of one of
the DNS. Then you can query the nameserver directly by IP address.

If no response, then try to gain access to another machine with nslookup,
and use the same method to query the same name server for a name lookup
(preferrably in the hosted domain of the DNS being queried as many DNS do
not allow for arb. lookup for hosts not in authoritative/owned ranges.)

If nslookup from another hosts works fine, but not from where you are,
then check firewall rules for DNS blocking on your own host.

Assume isp is isp.net, and DNS1 from isp.net is 172.31.0.1
$ nslookup - 172.31.0.1
Default Server:  ns1.isp.net
Address:  172.31.0.1

> www.isp.net
Server:   ns1.isp.net
Address:  172.31.0.1

Name:     www.isp.net
Address:  172.31.0.4
Aliases:  www.isp.com

You should be able to consult an ISP's DNS for a lookup of a host within
their domain even if you are using another ISP. (Of course, lookups of
other hostnames not part of their domain may fail.)

-ME