[vox-tech] time jumps 8 hours

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 23:07:39 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, eric nelson wrote:
> Thanks.  I did find today that there is nothing in the cron.  I'll check
> inetd.  Do you recommend setting the bios clock to local time?  I guess I
> should use a high debug level of logging, so there's lots of data.  What
> other files besides /var/log/messages?
> I'll be away from work 3 days, might get back to you if I still can't figure
> it out.  make files don't work too well with this situation :~(

Not all jobs will always show up in cron as by root or local users. I have
found /etc/cron.*/*
anacrontab
cron.d
cron.daily
cron.monthly
cron.weekly
crontab
cvs-cron.conf

See if you have these, and review them too.

If after checking /var/spool/cron, /etc/cron*, /etc/at* and verifying that
you have no other at/cron packages (cron, anacron, etc) installed, and no
daemonized ntp clients, and reviewing log files to see when the
date/time-stamps change (the change in time should tell you *when* the
problem is occuring) and none of these helps you to find the offending
app, perhaps it is being called into being by another system update
tool.(?)

This makes it more difficult. The time that the event occurs should help
you to narrow the group of apps that could call it. Disable half and see
if it goes away, if it does, then examine the half you disabled and
re-enable half. If it comes back, then suspect the 25% you have
left. Continue in this binary search and divide till you find it.

Also? Maybe do a man -k date and man -k clock and man -k time looking for
applications that can change the clock. Then mv these to different names
(like $0.oirg) and then write a bash wrapper that records PPID and
date/time into a file as well as a ps -auxw | grep $PPID to see the name
of the process and dump this info into a file, and then pass on the args
$@ to the real application $0.orig)

This seems time consuming, but is one of the many many approaches you
have available at your disaposal to solve this problem. Others here may
have other alternatives.

If you have found all clock/date modifying binaries on your system, and
wrapped them to still find nothing, suspect multiple personality disorder
or someone pulling a prank on you. (Hope my general joke is not
offensive.)

When you all were talking about Linux newbies:
 I still consider myself a *NIX newbie. ]:>

Yatta!
-ME