[vox-tech] usb woes

Jeff Newmiller vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 12:36:19 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> hello all,
>
> i have *never* played with usb at all.  last night was my first attempt,
> (just bought a handspring visor prism) and i'm afraid it failed.

[...]

> 4.  here's dmsg output:

[...]

>    Product: USB UHCI Root Hub
>    SerialNumber: d000
>    hub.c: USB hub found
>    hub.c: 2 ports detected

[...]

> 1.  it's my understanding that there should be a file /proc/bus/usb.
>     this file is missing.  i _thought_ it should be created upon
>     successful initialization of usb.c.  but it's simply not there.

Dunno.

> 2. when I settle the visor into the cradle:
>
>     hub.c: Cannot enable port 2 of hub 1, disabling port.
>     hub.c: Maybe the USB cable is bad?
>
>    of course, it's _possible_ that the cable is bad, but i seriously
>    doubt it.  i'm trying to set the visor up on rhonda's windows machine
>    right now, but i'm nearly certain it will work.

Note that the driver said it had detected two ports in your hub. If you
have ports in both the front and back of your computer, try using only the
front ports or only the back ports.  That is, unplug all cables but the
one you are working with if possible.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing