[vox-tech] misc. XF86 4 upgrade and accel 3D issues

Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:33:32 -0800

begin nbs <nbs@sonic.net>
> So today I decided it was about time I got 3D working on my box again
> (I have a Voodoo 3 2000, and am running Debian testing).
>
> I started with the innocent looking:
>
>   apt-get install xserver-xfree86
>

> That bumped me up to XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1.  Yay!
> However, accelerated 3D still didn't work.  A bit of head-pounding and IRCing
> later, I finally found the answer on Google Groups:
>
>   apt-get install xlibmesa3

too bad you didn't look in the linux gamers' howto.  it would've saved
you from head-pounding and ircing!    :)

> Now, however, rather than complaining and aborting, running the 'tuxracer'
> executable actually kills my X server!

definitely contact the author.

> Also, now, my virtual consoles (the text consoles accessible via Ctrl-Alt-F1
> thru Ctrl-Alt-F6) can't be seen.  (Instead, I just see a frozen 640x480
> zoom-in of the upper righthand corner of what was on the X screen (C-A-F7)
> when I switched.  I can still log in and so forth, but I'm blind.  I may as
> well have the monitor turned off :^(  --  Note... once upon a time, under
> Red Hat, I had the same issue.)

you're probably using a frame buffer.  recompile the kernel without it.
i would think this problem would be "searchable".

> Finally... and this is a dumb question (but I was having a hell of a time
> finding anything using dselect), when I try to compile one of my OWN 3D
> games from source, I get complaints about glx.h, gl.h, glu.h, and glut.h
> missing.  What do I need to apt-get to get those fellows on my box?

use auto-apt.  i think i posted this once before, but it's such a nice
trick that it deserves to be posted again.

satan# auto-apt search glx.h
usr/include/GL/glx.h    devel/mesag-dev
satan# auto-apt search glu.h
usr/include/GL/fglu.h   devel/glutg3-dev
usr/include/GL/glu.h    devel/mesag-dev
satan# auto-apt search glut.h
usr/include/GL/glut.h   devel/glutg3-dev
usr/include/GL/fglut.h  devel/glutg3-dev

pete

--
Enron..safe legal abortion..civil liberty..repealing ICBM treaty..deficit..
What's worse?  Screwing an intern or screwing an entire country?