[vox-tech] packet sniffer help

Henry House vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 07:50:36 -0800

--ZGiS0Q5IWpPtfppv

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 05:00:42PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
[...]
> can someone suggest a packet sniffer?  i'm looking more for ease of use
> than exotic functionality.   i'd appreciate input from anyone who has an
> opinion on a good sniffer.  (note: i don't use/know the advanced net
> logging stuff from 2.4 kernels.  until summer rolls around, i don't want
> to learn it either).

I have yet to exaust the capabilities of tcpdump in my (limited) useage, but
a search on packages.debian.org turned up:

>                           Package: karpski
>0.101-10
>                                                                    =20
>ethernet analyzer and sniffer
>
>	This is a GTK based packet analyzer. Its abilities as a sniffer or scanner
>are limited, but this sniffer is much easier to use than other popular
>sniffers such as tcpdump. In addition, there is a protocol definition file=
 in
>which other protocols can be added.
>  =20
>	Karpski may also be used to launch programs against addresses on your
>local network and as a local network intrusion tool.
>  =20
>   For more information: http://mojo.calyx.net/~btx/karpski.html

If that does not do the trick, see the full list of sniffers in Debian:

http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=3Dsniffer&se=
archon=3Dall&subword=3D1&version=3Dunstable&release=3Dall

--=20
Henry House
The attached file is a digital signature. See <http://romana.hajhouse.org/p=
gp>