[vox-tech] ******* Video card....

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 23:33:25 -0800

Mandrake 8.0 and 8.1 use XFree 4.1.0 and default to framebuffer mode. To use a non
framebuffer mode, choose linux-nonfb in your bootloader. If you have changed your
bootloader's configuration and cannot follow my directions, the difference between linux and
linux-nonfb is that linux-nonfb does not pass a vga= kernel parameter.

Mandrake 8.2beta1 (which I am beta testing on my computer) has the same deal with framebuffer
mode, but it uses XFree86 4.2.0. (XFree reports its release date as January 18, 2002)

Under Mandrake 8.1, I observed this problem occuring bi-weekly (or even less frequently than
that) with my ATI Rage 128 Pro card, but I haven't seen it happen under Mandrake 8.2 yet
(bear in mind that I've only been beta testing Mandrake 8.2 for about a week.)