[vox-tech] packet sniffer help

Joel Baumert vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 17:25:45 -0800

If you want a graphical one Ethereal is really nice.  I alternate
between that, tcpdump, and ngrep.  Be aware that you may not be
able to sniff on a switched network unless you are the source or
destination of the packets.

Since I am usually only talking one protocol at a time with our
controllers the following works pretty good.

ngrep -i eth1 host 10.10.6.103
tcpdump -i eth1 host 10.10.6.103

Ethereal
http://www.ethereal.com

Joel

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 05:00:42PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> hi all,
>
> amazingly, i've never used a packet sniffer before.
>
> for the past few days (weeks?  i've really been too busy to play much
> recently) i haven't been able to get a list of quake 3 servers from the
> internet.  quake 3 keeps reporting "no response from master server".
> using tcpdump, i've determed that "master server" is
> master.quake3arena.com.  i can't ping this server, but that's because
> idsoftware has disabled all icmp to their domain (they had trouble with
> DoS attacks).
>
> i'd like to take a look at what my client is sending the master server.
>
> can someone suggest a packet sniffer?  i'm looking more for ease of use
> than exotic functionality.   i'd appreciate input from anyone who has an
> opinion on a good sniffer.  (note: i don't use/know the advanced net
> logging stuff from 2.4 kernels.  until summer rolls around, i don't want
> to learn it either).
>
> btw, any other quake3 users having trouble contacting id software's
> master quake3 server?
>
> pete
[...]