[vox-tech] Problems with a motherboard.

Sun, 10 Feb 2002 10:33:27 -0800

begin Rod Roark <rod@sunsetsystems.com>
> On Sunday 10 February 2002 07:07 am, Stephen M. Helms wrote:
> > ... The problem I am getting is the computer freezes up
> > on boot generally after it shows the plug and play specs to the
> > screen....
>
> I assume this means it's inconsistent.  There's no pat answer.
> It could be any of:
>
> - Bad CPU
> - Bad motherboard
> - Loose cable or addon card
> - Bad hard drive
> - CPU fan worn out
> - Heatsink not properly installed
> - Bad hard disk
> - Incorrect motherboard settings (BIOS or jumpers)
> - Malfunctioning addon card (video, modem, etc.)
> - Anything else

i've seen problems like this where the motherboard was grounding to the
case via the motherboard connectors.  atx boxes have metal risers which
should have "oh's" to electrically disconnect the mother board
from the case.  the holes themselves are insulated, but sometimes the
connectors are wider than the insulation strip.

pete

--
Enron..safe legal abortion..civil liberties..cancelling ICBM treaties..
What's worse?  Screwing an intern or screwing an entire country?