[vox-tech] Re: Video card...

Wed, 6 Feb 2002 18:02:06 -0800

begin R. Douglas Barbieri <doug@dooglio.net>
> Pete,
>
> Thanks for all the info! Okay--what exactly is the "2nd generation" of
> Radeon cards? I'm finding some excellent prices on Radeon 7200 AGP 64MB
> (follow this ugly URL:
> http://tomshardware.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=511188/ut=d8666adf3e7d88ee
> )
> Is the Radeon 7200 a second gen card? Will it work under Linux? The
> manufacturer site says that only Windows is supported.

radeon followed by a letter (QE, VE, OEM, etc) = 1st gen

radeon followed by a number (8200, 7200, etc) = 2nd gen

2nd gen cards will supposedly be supported by X 4.2.*.  4.2.0 is
released via cvs; i don't know the status of the ati drivers.  i'll
prolly find out when more people start to use 4.2.0.

pete