[vox-tech] x-windows problem?

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 19:34:44 -0800 (PST)

Help!!!
I'm having problems logging into my computer.  I shut it down to install
more RAM and then rebooted.  Comp boots all the way to the text login, but
I dont have a chance to loging here because it is set to log straight into
x-windows first and then give a graphical login window. when it tries to
boot into x-windows, nothing shows up on the monitor.  The monitor seems
as though it is turning on and off...or trying to switch resolutions.
When I ctrl-alt-del to restart, the boot-down procedure couldn't shutdown
the x-font system.  the error message read:
shutting down x-font system       [failed]
so, I shutdown and took out the RAM I had just installed and booted back
up.  The same thing happened again.
Apart from the obvious issue of how can I boot back into KDE, I'm not sure
how to stop the boot procedure from trying to load x-windows on startup.
Then at least i could log onto the computer.
I know this probably sounds very vague, but I dont know what more
information I can give.  does anybody have any idea what might be going
on?  I would prefer not to have to reinstall!
thanks
Kai