[vox-tech] reading files into a web page

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 15:33:39 -0800 (PST)

Pros and cons summary:

   SSI:
      Pros:
         - Faster than other options (probably)
      Cons:
         - Not as full-featured as other options
         - Virtual vs. physical path names give you headaches

   PHP:
      Pros:
         - Full-featured
         - Easy to learn for C users
         - Full HTML integration

   CGI w/ PERL:
      Pros:
         - Full-featured
         - A load of add-on libraries
      Cons:
         - Entire webpage has to be generated as code (not ML)
         - CGI-wrapping, dedicated CGI paths, and all the rest give you
           headaches and server-setup-dependencies

Go with PHP...  I learned it in one sitting.  Get "PHP Pocket Reference"
($10) from O'Reilly; the first 30 pages or so tell you everything, mostly
about how it's similar to C, then the rest is a function reference.

-Mark