[vox-tech] new kernel -> kernel panic

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 13:42:26 -0800 (PST)

(Sorry, did not answer your other question. See below.)

ME said:
> This suggests that you are using CFS (Cryptographic Filesystem) for your
> root filesystem ("/") and the new kernel does not have support for it.
>
> 03:02 refers to device major 03 (hda) minor 2 (partition 2) or /dev/hda2
>
> It is also possible that support for ide controllers was omited from
> your new kernel. Verify that you have ide support in this kernel/
>
> Did you build your own kernel, or use one from your vendor?
>
> Did the previous kernel use an initrd disk image to preload modules
> before switching roots?
>
> in your bootloader,m what is your root= set to?
>
> Hope this points you in directions to find the problem you face.
>
> -ME
>
> Issac Trotts said:
>> While trying to get a PCMCIA card working on my laptop,
>> I installed a few things related to PCMCIA from dselect,
>> including a kernel with PCMCIA support.  The next time I
>> started the computer, it stopped after printing this message:
>>
>>   request_module[clock-major-3]: Root fs not mounted
>>   CFS: Cannot open root device "302" or 03:02
>>   Please append a correct "root=" boot option
>>   Kernel panic: CFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:02
>>
>> Please tell me if you know of a good way to resolve this,
>> or if I need to supply additional information.

If "resolve" means "permit me to use my machine like before the upgrade."
then you can try to specify an older kernel that you know works (like your
previous one). In LILO, you can do this at the LILO boot prmpt by pressing
"shift" when you see LILO and then when you see "LILO:" you can press
"TAB" to list the available kernels "known" by LILO on that system. You
can then type-in the name of the kernel you want to load. Newer Debian,
RedHat (etc) distros often have a nifty ASCII-art-style menu with a
curses-like interface to selct an older kernel.

I don't use GRUB and dont have suggestions for that if you are using it.

If you did not make your older kernel available as a fallback plan,
examine your distro's boot disks. Many have emergency boot disks and
procedures for falling back to an older kernel.

HTH.

-ME