[vox-tech] Easy tripwire alternative

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 16:03:09 -0500

On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 11:41:03AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin msimons@moria.simons-clan.com <msimons@moria.simons-clan.com>
> > On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 02:41:00PM -0800, Rod Roark wrote:
> > > why it has to be so complicated.
> >
> > [ps: if you are interested in a patch to md5sum that fixes the silent
> > dropping of long lines and unparsed lines... I could supply something]
>
> mike, shouldn't a bug report be filed?  i'd think that silently dropping
> anything is higher than a "wishlist" item.  especially for a security
> tool.

  A bug report is a good idea.

  hrmm... the package is dpkg, the file is util/md5sum.c, the functions are
do_check and get_md5_line.  I'm not sure if this will be considered a
security tool, the -c option certainly doesn't do what you would expect
from something security related.

  Lately I've tried to have a patch ready for any bug reports I file...
so I wasn't going to open a bug report until I got a working patch.
The downside is whatever I do is going to 'change behavior' of md5sum,
and some things may be actively using the current 'be silent for
unrecognized lines' behavior.

  So I won't open the bug report today, maybe tomorrow at the installfest.

  TTFN,
    Mike