[vox-tech] PHP Files Do Not Execute

Jim Angstadt vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 19:04:45 -0800 (PST)

--- Troy Arnold <troy-vox@zenux.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 11:14:11AM -0800, Jim
> Angstadt wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Another question from a PHP newbie.
> >
> > Yesterday my RH 7.2 box crashed due to UPS
> problems (
> > that's another story.)
> >
> > After a power up, all seemed OK.  This morning I
> > notice that some of the PHP scripts do not work.
> > Others work fine.  All were working prior to the
> > crash.
> >
> > For example, date.php, below, will act like text.
> The
> > browser just displays the file.  It doesn't get
> > executed.
> >
> > Another PHP file, in the same dir, with the same
> > permissions, works fine.
> >
> > I scanned httpd.conf for any obvious corruption
> but
> > found none.
> >
> > What should I look at now?
>
> What would help is the output from your httpd error
> log when you access
> date.php.  httpd.conf should tell you where the
> error log is located.
> Try: tail -f /path/to/error.log
<snip>

Hi Troy,
Thanks for the ideas.  You got me going again.  I
better explain as I might be on the wrong track again.

The httpd error_log did not have any pertinent
messages.  In fact, it did not record my attemps after
reading your message.  So,...there was nothing wrong
wrt apache.

Retrying the php files, I was surprised to see
date.php work and then not work.  I'm embarrassed to
explain that it worked when I keyed the address into
the browsers location window:
   http://localhost/~ja/php/date.php
but not when I navigated to the file.  In that case,
the loc bar showed:
   file:///home/ja/public_html/php/date.php

I was acting like I would with html files, sometimes
using the loc bar; sometimes using file, open,
navigate; sometimes using bookmarks.  I should have
picked up the differences much earlier.  More humility
training.

Re permissions, I'll try 644.  Been using 755.

Again, thanks for getting me to look at it from a
different angle.

Jim