[vox-tech] Anyone have experience with Windows XP & Linux on a Laptop?

Larry Ozeran vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 00:30:22 -0800

Thanks to everyone for all of your suggestions. :)

To clarify, I have _not_ bought the laptop yet. I was looking for questions
to ask before a purchase. You have supplied me with many, thank you.

I had not considered disk swapping. I had planned to store all dictations
on the windows partition, which could then be read by the Linux software
(and do batch updates since reboots would be required to switch OS'). I
suppose if I used a Zip or USB storage device to transfer data, swapping
hard disks (and rebooting) could also work. (Anyone have good results with
the USB keychain storage devices under both Linux and Windows?)

As extensive as linux-on-laptops is, I could not find EXACT model identifer
matches to the models I found available for purchase. (DELL Inspiron 4100
listed, but 4150 being sold; eight Sony Vaio PCG-R505 models on the web
site, but none that I found available for sale.) I guess it's still caveat
emptor and hope that the salesperson I ask questions about systems knows
what they are talking about (winmodems, IRQ conflicts, graphics cards,
PCMCIA).

Did anyone have problems with warranty issues after converting to a dual
boot laptop? Any problems with reinstalling Windows after repartitioning
the drive (i.e. only had a CDROM image and not a true install)?
(I presume that both of these issues would go away if I choose the "swap
hard disks" recommendation.)

-- Larry