[vox-tech] Anyone have experience with Windows XP & Linux on a Laptop?

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 21:04:30 -0800 (PST)

I installed, with permission, Linux on the company laptop (which I'm using
now) that already had Windows XP installed; it's a dual-boot.  It's an HP
Pavilion XF255 we purchased from Costco.  Works great!

I used a partitioning software to partition NTFS, then installed Mandrake
8.2.  I think everything got autodetected nicely, though due to various
work needs I'm using mostly the Windows side.

As a sidenote, installing Putty, Cygwin, and DJGPP sweetened up the XP
really nicely.  And I got around the lack of the start.exe program by
aliasing `start` to `cmd /c start`.  Very nice.

-Mark