[vox-tech] KDE? Or something more insidious....?

Richard Crawford vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
08 Dec 2002 16:05:34 -0800

Well, I renamed .kde to .kde_bad and .gconfd to .gconfd_bad, and removed
/tmp/orbit-*.  That seems to have cleared up all of my problems.  Thanks
for all the suggestions and the help.

Shawn asked,

> Are you up-to-date with patches from RedHat?

The answer to that is yes. ;-)  I run the update manager a couple of
times a week, just to be sure.

Shawn also asked,

> Have you installed a non-RedHat gnome?
> If so, you'll want to get it up-to-date.

Again, yes and yes.  I've got Ximian GNOME on my system, though I
generally use KDE as my desktop (for various reasons which I know about
and which I'm really too lazy to research at this point, Ximian's
development version of GNOME 2.0 is unstable on my system); it's up to
date.

I don't know why the problem began in the first place, unless some
process went out of control while I was away.  But I think that my other
problems came about, actually, because I was experimenting with a wonky
installation of GNOME 2.0, and that probably messed up my gconfd files
which caused all of the problems.  So renaming those configuration
directories has helped.  And I've got Evolution running again.

Again, thanks for the help.  Off to do some heavy research now.

Oh, and just for the record... while my Linux box was down, I had to
resort to using my company's laptop, which has WinXP on it.  Yes, the
rumors are true.  WinXP sucks.

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford