[vox-tech] syntax highlighting in vim

Henry House vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 19:33:14 -0700

--HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 02:01:15PM -0700, Andy Wergedal wrote:
> Hello all,
>=20
> I am trying to create a simple syntax file to colorize my journal entries=
. I would like the lines to be colorized by the first letter.
>=20
> Here is the basic scheme I would like to use. (or something like it.)
>=20
> black background
> *  red
> - blue
> -- green
>=20
> I have read the manual and found the syntax files but I just want somethi=
ng simple, not the volumneous view of everything.

When in doubt, find something that almost works, then tinker.

In that vein, I suggest you modify /usr/share/vim/vim61/syntax/conf.vim,
which is about the simplest syntax file imaginable. (Change path as
approproate if you have other vim than vim 6.1.) The matching is done by
regexes, the color scheme by a semantic system (i.e., you define the syntax
in the synax file as "Comment" or similar, but "Comment" is mapped to a
particular color elsewhere.)

--=20
Henry House
The attached file is a digital signature. See <http://romana.hajhouse.org/p=