[vox-tech] processor shootout: new intel, amd offerings

Tue, 27 Aug 2002 00:53:34 -0700

begin Bill Broadley <bill@math.ucdavis.edu>
> > availability
> > ============
> > intel's chip is already on the market.  AMD's chip is not available.
> > the media has coined AMD's release as a "paper release".
>
> Sounds like FUD to me, lag of weeks from announce to parts in your hand is
> normal for both.  intel just happened to release the p4-2.54 a bunch of
> weeks before AMD released the XP2600.  So yes intel has a a bunch of
> weeks head start

the article claimed that the "release" of the 2600+ came right on the
heels of intel's announcement.  a marketing ploy to keep up with the
main competition.

but you're arguing with hardware journalists, not me!

> > heat
> > ====
> > reviewer said the new P4 runs pretty cool review said the new P4
> > operating temp was at 34C.   ... oh my god, becky!  that's cooler than
> > my athlon 1.4!
>
> Umm, sounds like unscientific bull.  Fact is according to spec they are
> just about identical, in the 60-75 watt expected power usage range.

i guess you didn't read the article?

the reviewer had you sentiments but verified the temperature to be near
accurate.  see my references below.

> > benchmarks
> > ==========
> > the new P4 outperformed the new athlon by 10% - 15% on each benchmark.
> > the new athlon is about equivalent to a 2.53 P4.  reviewer points out
> > that you don't want to skimp on the RAM for the P4.
>
> Actually the benchmarks I've seen show the xp2600 winning most benchmarks
> against the 2.53 Ghz p4.

ok, i gave my references.  here they are again:

http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/CCAM/p4_28g.shtml

and if you don't like that, you can saunter over to:

http://www.gamersdepot.com/hardware/cpus/intel/p4_2.8/001.htm

where are YOUR references?  or would you like us to take your word for
it?   ;-)

> (rambus vs ddr), fsb (400 vs 500), and application.  Not to mention
> details like chipsets, bios, etc.

well, yeah.  anyone who doesn't take this for granted prolly shouldn't
be worrying about benchmarks in the first place!   :*)

> > pricing
> > =======
> > pretty much what you'd expect.  the new P4 is $508, new athlon is $300.
> > major drag.  i'm not sure $200 is worth a 15% gain in oomph.  but if i
> > had a real job...   :)   when the 2600+ reaches the market, hopefully
> > the 2.8 P4 will drop a bit.
>
> Bleah, why get a 2.8 Ghz p4?Don't forget the fastest p4's are rambus
> which increases the price even more, oh and you need one of the fancier
> dual channel motherboards (another few $100) to really take advantage.

don't you think that depends on who "you" are?  i already said "major
drag".  but i'm living on a grad student salary.  however, if i were
making 80k a year, i don't think i'd be worrying about a few hundred
dollars here and there for bragging rights for a couple of months.

speaking of which, i _just_ got my tax refund check, believe it or not.
the IRS kept nagging me that i owed $15 more than i calculated that i
owed them.  i tried and tried to contact them to talk about it, but
their lines were always busy.

finally, they sent a letter that mentioned "legal action" so i just
coughed up the extra $15 and didn't bother worrying about whether i
really owed it or not.

along with my refund check (which is what, half a year late?) came a
letter saying that they're sending me the $15 back.  and it's considered
taxable income for next year, on top of that.  holy cow.  i think this
is a fight i'm going to walk away from.

anyway, i think part of that is earmarked for a new machine.  :)

pete