[vox-tech] username / password authentication with apache

David Margolis vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 17:53:19 -0700 (PDT)

Pete,

Somebody already mentioned .htaccess which is the built in apache way to
do authentication.

I prefer the php/mysql variation which requires a _users_ database (or
something to that effect), with text fields for username, password, and
maybe an auto int just for bookkeeping.  this also allows you to make a
nice custom page with a form for the login info that matches your site
instead of a weird little login popup.  it also allows to catch and deal
with login errors better (e.g. print -> whoops try again, and display the
same login page beneath.  if e-mail address is in the database, or if
email address IS the login, then you do tricky things like having them ask
to be e-mailed their password (without your intevention if you've compiled
php --with-imap).

I could go on and on about the advantages of using your own homespun
authentication system.  If you use SSL you're 100% secure, but if you use
method=post in your login form, and you don't think the material is super
sensitive, you're probably ok running this type of thing on a regular
page.

I have php code snips for all of this if you're intersted in taking a
peek.

Dave