[vox-tech] lame-ass mozilla questions

Rick Moen vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 15:58:57 -0700

> in fact, i've never had anything but good experiences with realplayer.

I haven't, either, because I had one good look at the licence agreement
and avoided it entirely.  _That_ was a very good experience.

Highlights:  You may install it only on two computers and use it only on
one machine at a time.  Personal, non-commercial use only, and
specifically not involved in any way with any commercial service or
application.  Real Networks can modify this licence in any way it
pleases, with fourteen days' notice.  You may not use the provided
plug-ins anywhere else.  You may not reverse-engineer or modify it.  You
must be in compliance with export laws and not associated with countries
the USA considers naughty, like Cuba.  You mustn't be on the USA
Treasury or Commerce Department's lists of naughty people (drug
smugglers, terrorists, export-regs violators, etc.).  You may not use
the program in a DMCA-style "circumvention" manner.  You may not
attempt to circumvent the built-in "serial copying management system".
You consent to the program reporting unspecified information about and
your computer and its doings to Real Networks.  You may not circumvent
"digital rights management" functions of plug-ins.  You consent to that
DRM code reporting unspecified unspecified information about and your
computer and its doings to the DRM code's unnamed authors, and to their
substituting anything they want in its place without notice.  You may
not redistribute the program.

Full text here:
http://linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/apps/realnetworks-realplayer-8-licence

>> Donno, but 1.0 has it. I have mine set up to open windows in a new tob, and
>> leave it unfocused when I middle click a link.
>
> oh, nice!  i just found it.  thanks!

They picked up _all_ of the tab support from Galeon.  Mozilla's now
(post-1.0) had its RAM consumption reduced right down into Galeon
country, now that the debugging code's been removed.  However, Galeon's
still a little faster, in my experience.

--
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!