[vox-tech] Need X Windows performance monitoring help

Sat, 17 Aug 2002 12:50:31 -0700

begin Eric Nelson <en77@attbi.com>
> On Saturday 17 August 2002 10:36, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> well, yes, and maybe I should try 2.5.x, heh, heh.  no, I'm not ready
> to go that deep.

btw, there is some major breakage in 2.5.x.

> But, typically, it seems like, if you have 128 meg of ram, the kernel
> uses most of that; you change the same system to 256 meg, and the
> kernel uses most of that.  It makes sense, use what u've got.

there's a big difference between "using memory" and "reserving memory".

think of the kernel as a bank that gives out money to anyone who needs
it.  the only catch is that you have to need it.

see the "linux FAQ' at tldp.org.  it explains why the kernel "uses" so
much memory in greater detail.

pete