[vox-tech] Help with removal of a stubborn debian package

R. Douglas Barbieri vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 15:13:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all in vox-tech land,

I tried to install KDE3 using the sources specified on this page:
http://mypage.bluewin.ch/kde3-debian/

I had trouble getting kde3 to even log in, so I opted to remove KDE3 and
try to downgrade back to KDE2.

For some reason, I can't remove the kdm package. I tried first using
apt-get remove kdm then I tried apt-get -f install. Finally I tried it
through dselect. Here is the output I get from dselect:

********************

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  kdm
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 721kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
(Reading database ... 77713 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing kdm ...
Stopping K Desktop Manager: not running (/var/run/kdm.pid not found).
dpkg: error processing kdm (--remove):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 128
 kdm
Some errors occurred while unpacking. I'm going to configure the
packages that were installed. This may result in duplicate errors
or errors caused by missing dependencies. This is OK, only the errors
above this message are important. Please fix them and run [I]nstall again
Press enter to continue.

installation script returned error exit status 100.
Press <enter> to continue.

****************

I can't figure out what is wrong. If I try to run dpkg -r kdm, I get the
same thing. What can I do to get this stubborn package removed so I can
reinstall KDE2?

--
R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people
   discipline themselves."

-- Thomas Jefferson

GPG Public key : http://www.dooglio.net/dooglio.gpg