[vox-tech] a vim question (and german)

Henry House vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 13:52:52 -0700

--VrqPEDrXMn8OVzN4

On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 01:43:06PM -0700, Ryan wrote:
> On Saturday 10 August 2002 01:01 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > i have vim open in an xterm right this second, and want an umlat in my
> > document.
> >
> > what should i type?
>=20
> compose " [a|o|u]
>=20
> =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD
>=20
> compose is shift-menu on my keyboard, and X calls it MultiKey. You'll=20
> probably have to map it.
>=20
> It's usualy just menu on ttys.

You can also use vim's digraph feature, which is independant of the
terminal's eight-bit input mode. Hit control-k u : (letter u, colon) to get
=EF=BF=BD. The ex command :digraphs (with no args) should show you a list of
available digraphs.

NB. If your mail client (which I know to be mutt ;-) ) does not display the
umlauted characters above, you need to change your locate to something other
than 'C'. (The locale is determined by the contents of the LANG environment
variable, except that you cannot choose an arbitrary locale, only one that
you have generated. See below.)

Assuming that you do not want your program output to appear in Germa, a good
choice of locale is en_US.ISO-8859-1, which is English language, USA varian=
t,
Latin-1 charset. To generate the locale on Debian, edit /etc/locale.gen to
add the following line:

	en_US ISO-8859-1

then run locale-gen. Alternately, run dpkg-reconfigure locales and follow t=
he
instructions.

Thereafter, it is as simple as putting 'export LANG=3Den_US.ISO-8859-1' in =
your
bash profile. Warning: the locale collates upper and lowercase letters
together---generally a Good Thing---but with the result that shell globs are
case-insensitive. For example, 'rm [A-Z]*' is equivalent to 'rm [A-z]*'. Be
careful.

--=20
Henry House
The attached file is a digital signature. See <http://romana.hajhouse.org/p=