[vox-tech] Suddenly the Dungeon collapses

Chris McKenzie vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 16:00:37 -0700 (PDT)

IT's a popular message with the screen program.  It's an allusion to (I
think) hack, a console game and my best guess is that it was one of the
error texts that would happen upon error.  In UNIX, with error handling,
modern programs use "strerror(3)" function.  Depending on the variable
sys_nerr in the error.h file, the number of errors will vary.  So ... you
should find the offending program and then the source thereof and grep the
error message on the source.  Most likely you will be able to find some
line like:

printf ("%s/n",stringarray[errno]);
Change this line to:
printf ("%4d = %s", errno, strerror(errno));

and reproduce the error.  Now it will say something like:

    5 = Input/Output error.

when it dies.  Based on the error, the fstat command can help you finding
the files in use and similarly, on your GNU system I think there is a
socket command that can help you.

Some hints in finding the offending process:  If it crashed the kernel, it
most likely had root or some high privleges.  Being that this is the case,
first attack the programs that run SUID which on a GNU system I think is
dictated by the "S" flag in an ls -l.  Secondly, try the programs sarting
as root.

Lastly, look for a core file using the find command.  If you can find the
core file of the offending process, then say so and we can easily go from
there.

That's about it.