[vox-tech] Partitioning scheme

Rick Moen vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 11:05:35 -0700

Quoting Rod Roark (rod@sunsetsystems.com):

> You'll find that most of the Red Hat install goes into /usr,
> so I think you have too much allocated to /.  I would combine
> / and /usr anyway -- can't think of any reason to separate
> them....

It'd prove indispensible if one ever decided it's desirable to mount
/usr read-only.  Which I would say it is.

Jay, n sysadmins will generally give you at least n+1 conflicting
views[1] on filesystem partitioning.  Whatever you do today, you'll
regret later.  Therefore, have a plan for, when that day comes,
reshuffling your filesystems to compensate.  E.g., you could leave some
space currently unallocated, which on Moving Day can be made into
temporary holding space.

Installing X11 (let alone GNOME/KDE) on a server is a security risk.
Consider instead installing just the X11 libs and SSH.  Then, you can
ssh in from a desktop *ix box with the "-X" ssh switch to preserve X11
forwarding, and run whatever GUI-ish things you need to remotely
administer the thing without having to run X11 _on_ the server.

I second one of Rod's other recommendations:

> Finally, leave space for an extra root filesystem.  It comes
> in very handy for upgrading and rescue.

Install a minimalistic Linux system onto there, and leave it normally
unmounted.  You'll thank yourself, some day.

One of those n+1 sets of opinions, taken from one of my servers:

#
/dev/sda5   /             xfs     defaults,errors=remount-ro     1       1
/dev/sda7   none          swap    sw                             0       0
/dev/sdb6   none          swap    sw                             0       0
proc        /proc         proc    defaults			 0       0
/dev/fd0    /mnt/floppy   auto    defaults,user,noauto		 0       0
/dev/sda1   /boot         ext2    ro,noauto,noexec,nosuid,nodev	 1       2
/dev/sda6   /maint        xfs     rw,noauto                      0       2
/dev/sdb7   /var          xfs     rw,nodev,nosuid,noatime	 1       2
/dev/sda8   /var/log      ext2    rw,nodev,nosuid,noatime        0       2
/dev/sdb8   /usr          ext2    ro,nodev                       1       2
/dev/sda9   /usr/local    xfs     rw                             1       2
/dev/sdb1   /home         xfs     rw,nodev,nosuid                1       2
/dev/sdb5   /tmp          ext2    rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime 0       2

[1] http://linuxmafia.com/pub/humour/sysadmin-types