[vox-tech] Partitioning scheme

Ehrhart, Jay vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 09:51:39 -0700

I have a new Dell 1500SC server with 512 MB memory and 4 SCSI drives, (2 -
18 GB drives and 2 - 36 GB drives), that I am building for a Red Hat Linux
server.  I will be using Linux OS for the RAID 0 since I don't have a
hardware RAID controller installed.
It will run Q mail for about 300 users, Squid for web caching, DNS, Apache
and have Gnome and KDS installed.

Here is how I thought I would partition it:

On the first hard drive I would install / and /boot;
/	4.0 GB since I am loading KDE and GNOME (Why? Because I am a newbie
and need all the help I can get)
/boot	100 MB

Striped across 3 hard drives in RAID 0;
/home	3 GB
/tmp	30 GB proxy web caching
/usr	3 GB
/var	3 GB
swap	2 GB to allow for future memory installs

Each of the 3 striped drives would have a total of 13.6 used disk space
leaving about 4 GB for future expansion.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,

Jay

Jay Ehrhart